Green, Clean and Serene; the beautiful unspoilt island of Tobago is one of the southernmost Caribbean Islands, sitting at 11 degrees north of the equator just outside the hurricane belt. The weather here is consistent; sunny all year round with daytime temperatures varying very little from 29°C to 32°C. The constant NE trade winds are cooling, especially at Kapinjala where the orientation of the villa has taken full advantage of not only the views but also the gentle breezes. The island has two seasons; the Dry Season running from December to May and the Rainy Season from June to November when warm rain bursts interspersed with bright sunshine guarantee a lush, green paradise.
Situated on the Caribbean coast of this tiny 26 mile by 8 mile island, Kapinjala sits overlooking the beautiful, secluded Arnos Vale Bay, just thirty minutes from the airport and the capital Scarborough. Kapinjala's location allows for easy access to the oldest tropical rainforest in the Western Hemisphere at Main Ridge and the largest single brain coral in the world at the Speyside Reef. Diving and snorkelling on Tobago is amongst the best in the Caribbean and the many wonderful beaches are ideal for sunbathing or for watching the endangered Giant Leatherback Turtles come ashore.
The currency of Tobago is TT dollars and whilst some establishments accept US dollars we would recommend always changing your own currency to TT dollars at one of the Tobago banks to ensure the best exchange rates. Most places will accept Visa and Mastercard although very few take American Express and there are a number of ATM machines dotted around the island for cash withdrawal using a credit or debit card.
Tobago runs on 110V electricity and European visitors will need to use a two-pin American style adaptor complete with transformer when using any electrical items at Kapinjala. Whilst some items will work with just the adaptor (mobile phone/camera chargers), be warned, ladies, that hair straighteners will not!
Despite having a rainy season, water is a finite resource on Tobago! However, Kapinjala is fitted with high volume water storage to try and ensure that our guests have all they need.
Getting to Tobago could not be simpler since the island boasts an International Airport! You can fly direct from the UK with Virgin Atlantic and British Airways, and from North America with American Airlines, Delta Airlines or Air Canada.
For more detailed information about travelling to Tobago, the weather or what there is to do when you get here, we would recommend visiting the definitive guide to Tobago – myTobago.info.
Simon, Kim and David Partridge are the English owners of Kapinjala, Tobago and have been in love with the island since 2003. Our many visits to Tobago for both holidays and to oversee the construction of Kapinjala have developed our knowledge and fondness for this wonderful island and its people.
We are pleased to share this knowledge with our guests and assist you with the planning of your trip to ensure a wonderful and memorable experience. To contact us please complete the enquiry form or call us on +44 (0)1255 830288.
The Kapinjala Experience is all about making your stay with us both relaxing and fulfilling and the following services are designed to ensure that happens.
- Housekeeping - our housekeeper will come in six days a week (not Sundays or public holidays) to clean the villa and make the beds.
- BBQ - there is a large luxury BBQ on the verandah, ideal for grilling steaks, fresh lobster and local fish, which can be picked up each day from Surfers Paradise or Pigeon Point - just make sure you ask them to fillet the fish! We can also advise the best place to source lobster and great quality meat for the BBQ.
- Telephone and Internet - guests are welcome to use the villa landline for local and incoming international calls and there is a broadband internet service available for emails for guests bringing their own laptops/notebooks. We also provide a local mobile for use by guests during their stay.
- Entertainment - the living area includes a television complete with DVD player and satellite TV, as well as a sound system with a CD player and connection for iPod and MP3 players. The villa also has a selection of board games for your enjoyment.
- Library - the Kapinjala mini-library provides a large collection of Trinidad and Tobago reference and picture books and a good selection of fiction and non-fiction books.
- Bedrooms - all bedrooms are fitted with ceiling fans and air conditioning.
- Bathrooms - all bathrooms are fitted with ceiling fans, hairdryers and shaver sockets.
- Snorkelling - the many secluded coves around the Tobago coastline are fantastic for snorkelling and the best way to get there is on a snorkelling boat tour by Cocomotion.
- Scuba Diving - there are many dive centres on Tobago but we can offer the unique opportunity to carry out your PADI confined diving qualification in our large pool – much more fun in the warm Caribbean waters than in colder seas elsewhere in the World!!
- Tours and Excursions - Helen, our villa manager, is always happy to help and advise on island, rain forest or bird watching tours and any other requirements our guests may have.
- Maps and Brochures – Kapinjala has a well stocked leaflet rack and an information book providing brochures and maps to assist our guests with planning their stay and any excursions they wish to take.
- Meet and Greet - available on request, at additional cost, you can be met at the airport or ferry terminal and taken to Kapinjala - your first Carib is always best drunk during this journey!
- Welcome Meal - our housekeeper can prepare a traditional Tobagan welcome meal for you to enjoy and refuel after your travels. This is available on request, at additional cost.
- Welcome Pack - we can supply an extensive welcome pack of food, beer and rum that will happily see you through your day of arrival. This is available on request, at additional cost.
- Cooking - a cook and caterers are available for hire to provide meals on request (additional cost).
- Babysitting - a babysitting service is available on request (additional cost).
- Car Hire - a car is recommended when visiting Kapinjala and we can put you in touch with our chosen car rental provider – KCNN Car Rentals – who will either meet you at the airport or deliver your vehicle to Kapinjala.
- Departure - check out time is 11am and we can arrange your transfer to the airport on day of departure (additional cost).